Table of contents:
After Balfa brand had gone to UK, the original Balfa philosophy stayed in Canada, where Jerome Roy (Balfa co-founder) prepared the successor of Balfa BB7 under new name - Appalache Cycles
The Real utilises all unique Balfa's idea and solutions (see "BB7 Frame overview" for details):
- High pivot suspension design with chain pulley;
- "Parallel trajectory" axle path;
- Aluminum front, Cr-Mo swingarm.
But it is also:
- Lighter - 9.5 lbs (4320 g) with FOX DHX with titanium spring;
- Lower bottom bracket, lower top tube;
- Shorter chainstay and wheelbase.
- A bit simplier - less complicated swingarm links and pulley location
As users and reviews report, the Real maintains BB7's advantages due to similar high pivot suspension design - the frame still maintain momentum over rough impacts and has stable wheel base. However, weakest points of old design were improved - frame is lighter, shorter and lower, therefore it can be much more agile and nimble at low speeds, while still being stable at high speed.
So, you may ask, is this bike better, than BB7? Yes, it is.
See "Links" below for more information.
For details about Balfa BB7 geometry go to "Geometry data" page.
|Seat Tube length||16.6||422||15.5||393.7|
|Top Tube length*||23||585||23.25||590.5|
|Head Tube Angle||66°||66°|
|Seat Tube Angle||63°||69°|
|Bottom Bracket Height||15||380||14.75||375|
|Head Tube Height||4.6||118||4.5||114|
* Appalache Real is available in two sizes:
- Small - 21.75" (552.4 mm) top tube
- Medium - 23.25" (590.5 mm) top tube (used for comparison)
Important note: Geometry data above is based on official website and applies for first frames made. Currently available model has slightly modified geometry.
Visit "Technical data" for comparison with the BB7. Generally, these parameters stay pretty much the same.
- Rear wheel travel - 9.1" (231 mm)
- Seatpost diameter - 27.2 mm
- Seatpost collar diameter - 31.8 mm
- Headset - 1 1/8"
- Rear axle width: 135 mm (standard 9 mm QR or 10 mm thru-axle hubs)
- BB shell width - 73 mm
- Shock length x stroke: 222 mm (8.75") x 70 mm (2.75")
Suspension characteristics (red line shows type of suspension rate) and axle path (dimensions in milimeters):
Suspension characteristics - raising rate in whole travel (green and pink lines for comparison with BB7)
For more information about Appalache Real visit: