Balfa 2Step HD (DH)
Table of contents:
Balfa 2Step HD is a 7.1" (180 mm) travel frame dedicated for downhill and freeride use.
It's meant for hammering down the trail, but it's also capable of some uphilling. Features the Balfa 2-Step linkage allowing for good pedalling efficiency as well as plush suspension. As all full suspension Balfas, it has beefy alloy front end and Cr-Mo rear end.
This frame was known as 2Step DH in 2003 but in 2004 the name has been changed after numerous complaints from consumers questioning the DH tag on a "freeride" bike. 2004 has also higher bottom bracket, improved chainline, ability to run more types of shocks and some more little tweaks.
|Imperial dimensions (inches)||SIZE|
|A||Seat Tube length||18.0||19.5|
|B||Top Tube length||22.3||23.5|
|C||Head Tube Angle||67.5°|
|D||Seat Tube Angle||66°|
|G||Bottom Bracket Height||14.2|
|I||Head Tube Height||4.6|
|Metric dimensions (mm)||SIZE|
|A||Seat Tube length||457||495|
|B||Top Tube length||565||597|
|C||Head Tube Angle||69°|
|D||Seat Tube Angle||65°|
|G||Bottom Bracket Height||360|
|I||Head Tube Height||118|
- Rear wheel travel - 7.1" (180 mm)
- Rear shock size - 7.875 x 2.25" (200 x 57 mm)
- Seatpost diameter - 27.2 mm
- Seatpost collar diameter - 31.8 mm
- Headset - 1 1/8"
- Rear axle width: 135 mm
- BB shell width - 73 mm
- BB axle length - 113 to 116 mm (depending on chainline)
- Front derailleur - down swing, top-pull (with 34.9 mm collar)
- Tyre clearance - 26 x 2.8"
- Pivot bearings - 6001 RS (eight)
2Step is suspension design with temporary (moving with compression) pivot point. It is very similar to Maestro, or DW Link. Such design's advantages are good pedalling efficiency (little to none pedal bob) and close to none suspension feedback under braking (brake-jack).
Animations by MMcG25
Suspension characteristics (red line shows type of suspension rate), axle path (dimensions in milimeters) and chain growth:
You can download 2Step HD layout for Linkage2 here (view BB7 suspension design for details and program download).
LOGO AND DECALS
If you need to print a new set of stickers for your Balfa, visit common "Logo and frame decals" section.
For more information about Balfa 2Step HD visit:
- FeedTheHabit - Interbike 2004 Balfa info
- Pinkbike - Interbike 2003 Balfa info
- Ridemonkey - "Iron Horse Sunday vs Balfa 2Step HD" forum thread